Story and photo by Gail & Mark Smith
With 10 teams and 10 courses this year’s Suzuki Extreme 4x4 Challenge was going to be eventful as each team was on a mission to better the next, which can be easier said than done.
This year there were also some changes to the format with an easier scoring system, the main difference being that you weren’t penalized with negative points if you missed a gate. Also the earth was painted indicating the direction vehicles ideally should take.
The teams would rotate as to who would start first on each course which must have been a relief.
It was great to see the interaction with the competitors and the crowd, especially the kids who wanted to slap hands with the muddy co-drivers.
What an awesome day with Scott & Jarred earning Best in Show and Andrew & Amy Garner 1st, Scott & Jarred Biggs 2nd and Aaron & Gary 3rd.
A great day enjoyed by many bring on the next one. Congratulations to Dan and Team for an exciting well run event.
Suzuki Extreme 4x4 Challenge 2017
1. Andrew Garner/Amy Garner 7200 points
2. Scott & Jarred Biggs 6600 points
3. Aaron Guest/Gary Preston 6100 points
4. Hamish Auret/Paul Barnes 6000 points
5. Phil Hobart/Brittany Hobart 5600 points
6. Levi Sherwood/Kayne Newman 5400 points
7. Kevin Hermansen/Nick Hamilton 5300 points
8. John Cowper/Ian Templeton 4700 points
9. Nathan Fogden/Mike Gibbons 4600 points
10. Phil Walton/Todd Charman 1800 points
Best in Show: Scott & Jarred Biggs
To read every story in the June 2017 issue of NZ4WD go to Zinio.com (May 19) or purchase your own hard copy at the Adrenalin store.